Growing Gardeners is a Social Enterprise managed and run by Mayfield and Easthouses Youth 2000 Project (Y2K). We offer a range of gardening services to private homes, businesses, housing associations and community groups in Midlothian. We operate like any other business, however, what makes us different is – after running costs – our profit is put back into the community: growing lives, changing spaces.
Did You Know?
- 545,000 young people aged 16-24 were unemployed in April-June 2017.
- 86% of young people across the UK say that being out of work had affected their well-being, with over half saying it had made them more stressed.
- Gardening activities – especially with others – promotes well-being, reduces isolation, increases fitness, grows learning, develops, build confidence, offers and allows the opportunity for you to share and support others
As a social enterprise, we offer paid trainee positions to young people and offer work experience placements for upcoming school leavers to help them – through gardening and green activities – build their skills, confidence, and efficacy to move on in life and find suitable and meaningful employment.
We also work with schools and groups, and the wider community on specific projects, events and offering our services to help others change the spaces in which they live.
Why do we do it?
- Because we believe that our health and well-being can be improved by enhancing the areas in which we live.
- Because we believe everyone has the right to realise and release their full potential.
- Because we are committed to learning, growing lives and changing spaces.
- Because we want to be able to offer affordable and professional gardening services.
- Because we are passionate about community and ‘everyone in, everyone counted’.
- Because we all need positive outcomes in our lives.
- Because we want to make a contribution.